About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Holding Onto Vs. Being Held By

How do you know when you're holding onto something mindfully vs. being held by it mindlessly?

From the moment I first became aware of her, I had a visceral dislike for former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. That dislike persisted the entire time she held office and then continued afterwards. I never gave much thought to why this was. Although I didn't care much for her politics, her imperious manner or her hairdo, I just held on to my dislike and carried on.

Last night, watching "Iron Lady", something odd was happening inside me. Whenever I felt any sympathy for Thatcher, I fought it. It then dawned on me - I was no longer holding onto my dislike for her, I was being held by it. I was fighting what I was feeling because of something I'd convinced myself was worth holding onto many years ago - very silly, indeed.

Today I've been reflecting on where else in my life, closer to home, I've let this happen. Work to be done. 

1 comment:

  1. Pat, learning what is going on in your head via this blog is so interesting...it's like finally viewing the inner workings of a clock that has been telling me the time for 34 years. I'm getting a new understanding of what makes you tick. Love!

    ReplyDelete