About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Future Filled With Parks

Beginning tomorrow, I'll be unable to access the Internet for a week, making this my longest break from blogging since mid August. That break was precipitated by an unplanned fiasco; this one is a planned service trip to Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky - much nicer circumstances.

My wife and I are on a mission to visit as many National Parks as possible; we were inspired watching the Ken Burns series last year. We'll spend this week rehabilitating trails, removing non-native plants, and assisting Park Personnel with other chores. And we get one day in the middle to explore the caves.

I haven't counted (yet) but my guess is after this trip we'll have visited about 25-30% of the National Parks. If we plan well and our $$ holds out, we've got a shot at seeing most of them. Which parks are on your "want to see" list? Which ones that you've seen would you recommend we put at the top of our queue?

I should be back online next Sunday and will look forward to seeing your recommendations.  

4 comments:

  1. Alison/Anonymous: Been to Yellowstone (twice)- wonderful. Joshua Tree is a future definite; maybe get Zion at the same time. Thanks for responses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After perusing the National Geographic book on National Parks, I'm eager to visit so many: Virgin Islands National Park on St. John, Biscayne National Park in Florida, which is largely under water, Mt Rainer NP in Washington, Hawaii Volcanos and Haleakala, American Samoa, And all the Alaskan parks (8 of them!!!) Oh and Yosimite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon in California. There's a whole world of garlic mustard waiting to be pulled!

    ReplyDelete