About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, February 8, 2013

Is The Opposite Of Bad-Mouthing Good-Mouthing?

An attentive reader of my blog recently asked me "Do you ever read a book you don't like?" Fair question; of course, the answer is yes.

What purpose would it serve to post about one of those books?  From the outset, my objective has been to start a dialogue, online or otherwise. Since I post only about books that have moved me, any ensuing dialogue begins from a positive space. If someone reads the book and finds my assessment lacking, I look forward to hearing a differing view. I realize most books that have left me cold likely have something redeeming. And perhaps, a persuasive person who enjoyed something I did not might even be able to get me to take a second look. 

But I believe my energy is better spent writing about what juices me and having others push back to help me keep my reading saw sharp. In addition, until I finish a book of my own, it feels churlish to publicly bad mouth someone who has. I have one relative and several friends who have gotten to that finish line. Their kind of grit humbles me.

So look elsewhere for suggestions on books to avoid. And keep pushing back at me when any choice of mine strikes you as wrong-headed.

3 comments:

  1. Good one, Pat. Balls and stones, ha. Leads to some interesting pun territory but will not go there out of my misplaced sense of decorum. This time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The older I get...umm, the more life experience I accumulate, the more I think Thumper's mother was right.

    Life is too short and too full of books (and other things and people) to focus on negatives. Quantum mechanics points us to, "you are what you think." Think on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorette; Quantam mechanics, huh? Great quote. I'd been exposed to constructivism saying the same thing a slightly different way, i.e. "We don't see the world as it is but as we are". In either case, thanks for reading & commenting.

      Delete