About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, February 25, 2013

Battle Of The Book Clubs

Four books, four meetings. The undisputed winner in this month's battle of the book clubs? "Room" (2010) by Emma Donoghue.

It's not overstatement calling this book unique. How many five year old narrators have you encountered? How many books have you read that largely take place in a space eleven feet by eleven feet? After the first 40 or so pages, the author had created such a convincingly claustrophobic world, my breathing was actually a little shallow.

If this is a work of pure imagination, it's a stunning one.  But with no evidence to support my conjecture, I'm guessing some parts of it were based on real events. If any of you have read it and have an opinion about my theory, I'd like to hear it. I'm quite sure this book will never leave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment