About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Nose On My Face

"To see what is in front of one's nose requires a constant struggle.": George Orwell

Which strategies do you use to ensure you are continually learning?

I'm not sure Orwell was necessarily referring to continual learning but his words remind me how important that pursuit is, especially when I find myself stuck. It's seductive holding onto a viewpoint and not actively seeking new information that could upend that view. Peter Senge calls this "being held by a position" vs. "holding a position" - a critical distinction. In my experience it's a short distance from being temporarily stuck to becoming hard-to-budge provincial. What has been your experience?

Recently, an old friend about my age speculated that aging invariably moves us toward becoming more provincial. I have no evidence to either support or refute his view. But I am planning to keep Orwell's words in front of my nose from now on, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment