About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Alphabetizing And Coffee Mugs

Everyone has at least one; some have many. What routine or ritual gives you undeniable, if not easily explicable comfort? Without sounding glib about genuine mental illness, I maintain each of us has routines or rituals which, when soberly considered, put us in an obsessive-compulsive league, if not the medication recommended ballpark.

Each time I find myself re-arranging the coffee mugs in my cupboard, Jack Nicholson's character in "As Good As It Gets" comes to mind. And my smart-ass sisters once had fun de-alphabetizing my books (or was it my recordings?) while I was away on vacation. But revenge is sweet; I recently changed the order of my brother-in-law's three gasoline cans, usually arranged smallest to largest; ha - so there!

I'm usually not big on "everyone" declarations but have yet to meet an exception to this rule. How about you?  No fair messing with my mugs when you visit unless you come clean.

2 comments: