About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Thanks Bucky

When I was an undergraduate and my musical horizon didn't extend far beyond playing rock n' roll drums, legendary jazz guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli did a solo show at my school. Although almost 45 years ago, I remember it clearly; it's no exaggeration to say Bucky's performance altered the path of my life. What sort of parallel experiences have you had, musical or otherwise?

At the time, my guitar playing was rudimentary at best. But I still recall thinking - some day I'm going to do what he's doing, i.e. play guitar like a pianist, so listeners can hear melody and chords at the same time. I had no idea how Bucky was making his left hand do so much but knew I wanted to learn.

Years later, my singing voice gave out. After finding another way to make a living, I sought out a teacher and used my leisure hours to learn a new way to play guitar; singing was no longer necessary, thanks to Bucky. Though I'm still not at his level these many years past, the joy and satisfaction I've derived from my playing has enhanced my life beyond measure.  

This past New Year's Eve my wife and I caught a show with Bucky, now over 80 years old. He sounded great. And, while playing my guitar yesterday, digging yet again into the rich harmonies of "My Romance", I wished Bucky wasn't surrounded by people following his show in December. I would have liked to say thanks to him.


No comments:

Post a Comment