About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Retaining My Right To Hide

How would you describe your prevailing attitude about the easy availability the Internet provides for getting information about people? Excited? Indifferent? Ambivalent? Creeped out? How much does your attitude shift based on you getting information about others vs. others getting information about you?

My attitude about this modern-day reality shifts so frequently that ambivalent, although close, seems an inadequate descriptor. Just a few days ago, in the space of twelve hours, a Google maps shot of my house at Home Depot brought to mind "1984", while finding a long ago musical associate within ten minutes had me extolling technology. At the same time, it was hard to ignore how my whiplash was totally self-serving.

Given I'm a blogger, as well as a mostly law-abiding citizen, I don't have a great deal to hide. That doesn't mean I want to give up my right to be able to hide. How about you?    

No comments:

Post a Comment