About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Proud Father, Grateful Son

If you are a father, what about your children makes you the most proud? What about you made your own father the most proud?

My daughter graduated college in May 2011 and was living in NYC by August that same year. Of the many ways she's made me proud, her drive to be on her own is perhaps at the top of the list. It's not that I looked forward to not seeing her every day or wouldn't miss kissing her while she slept. But her mother and I tried raising her to look at the world as an exciting place to explore and to think of challenges she'd encounter as opportunities to grow. The fact that she wanted to tackle the world and support herself with minimal help so soon after graduating told us she wasn't unduly afraid of what she'd face.

Although I'm not certain how my Dad would answer, I'd guess me being the first of his children to get a Graduate Degree would be near the top of his list. And Father's Day is a good opportunity to thank him for the role he played in that milestone. I started Graduate School in September 1996; Dad died in October 1997. My final year was paid for via my inheritance. Thanks Dad.

1 comment:

  1. Dad, I am most proud of you for striving to better yourself each and every day. I've learned so much from you, and my life is rich because of you.

    ReplyDelete