About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, June 20, 2014

A Post Teaching Post

One of the nicest by-products of teaching beginner's guitar is how often I'm around children. Teaching beginner adults has its joys, but children usually come without the excess baggage we grown-ups tend to lug around. The openness children bring to music lessons energizes and humbles me.

Enthusiasm is always contagious; childhood enthusiasm is magical and when related to music, it's captivating. Big smile, shy grin, robust laugh, quiet giggle - my day is made. I've frequently reflected how wonderful it would be were I able to be disarmed by adults as easily as I am by children. Do you have similar difficulty dropping your guard around adults? Kids seem to bring out the parts of me I like. And the music sweetens the deal.

Even my judgmental side behaves when I'm with children - another reason I like hanging out with them. But right now I'm alone and here comes one of those nasty judgments. I just don't get people who say they don't like children.

No comments:

Post a Comment