About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, April 18, 2016

Best If Used By ...

Aside from its intended purpose - advising us of the optimal shelf life of consumer products - in what other ways could the label "best if used by ..." be utilized as a tool?

Any teachers out there? How about attaching that label when instructing students in a practical skill? How many times have you forgotten how to do something you've been taught because too much time elapsed between lesson and application?

How about using the label for relationships? I've got one mildly profane idea for applying "best if used by ..." in that domain but you go first. Handy for jokes? Without doubt. How about music? If you'd heard the dreadful choral version of "Do You Want To Know A Secret?" I did this past weekend, you might be persuaded, although in that particular case, "best if never used" would be more apt. But most live rock recordings - especially from the late 60's and early 70's - have clearly outlived their shelf life, arguably more than any old box of spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment