About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Needed: Etiquette Convention Board Contact Info

Which convention(s) of etiquette would you find liberating to disregard? What qualifications must the guardians of these conventions have? Who gets to decide when a convention has outlasted its usefulness? Do any of you have a phone # or e-mail address for the etiquette convention board? I've got a bone to pick with that august group, whoever and wherever they are.

After researching the evolution of the convention requiring men to remove their hats while indoors, I've decided this is one worthy of the trash heap. Call me a cretin but this throwback to medieval days when visitors to the king removed their helmets to show they were concealing no weapons strikes me as just as silly as wearing a necktie to work. My freedom to abandon that fashion convention six years ago will now be coupled with wearing a hat anywhere I please. If the prickly librarian who upbraided me for my indoor hat reads this post, be advised.

As soon as a reader provides me with contact info, my intense lobbying with the etiquette convention board to toss the hat-while-indoors nonsense will commence. So, be sure your guardian paperwork is in order. A library card does not count.

2 comments:

  1. This is going to be tons of fun with my Middle School students! I have to say, I spend a great deal of time uncovering beautiful teen children from their hoodies every day. And while I get what you are saying, I am not sure why, but picturing the students if they were allowed hats and hoods in class just feels "wrong". I have to mull this before I read your post with them for discussion tomorrow. I'm curious, Pat. How would you feel as the teacher of 25 middles schoolers if they were wearing hoods and hats? Your answer might surprise me....but regardless, it will certainly help to add fuel to the flames of this sure-to-be-interesting discussion tomorrow. Thanks, Pat!!! d.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. d; You're welcome but as usual it is I who should thank you. The fact that you use any of my posts as jumping off points for discussions with your students makes me very happy. To your question - In a classroom setting, I too would probably struggle if my students were wearing hoodies and/or hats, notwithstanding my sincere belief that the convention has outlived its usefulness. Inconsistent? You bet. Mea culpa.

      Delete