About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The High Horse Avoids Editing

"Mark my words."

"I told you so."

Kind of the before and after of "See how smart I am?", don't you think? And how about the subtext attached to these two oft-heard phrases, especially when delivered with a smirk? Maybe my thin skin is showing, but infrequently I detect a whiff of " ... smarter than you ... " accompanying the words.
 
As someone who has been called both arrogant and supercilious more than a few times - sometimes in the same sentence - these are two phrases worth avoiding. I'm marginally more successful steering clear of the latter, probably because it's more clearly obnoxious and a surefire way to trigger defensiveness in others. And a quick keyword search of 1300 blog posts uncovered just two instances since March 2011 when I've claimed divine prescience using "mark my words." Unfortunately, one of the two occurred in the last month, another reminder of the need for constant vigilance lest my high horse reaches levels requiring an oxygen tank.

p.s. I considered editing out the phrase in both posts. Took the high road on my high horse instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment