About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, June 4, 2016

That Tricky Mirror

Carefully consider your close relationships. Ones that - if you chose to end - would result in significant changes in your life. Which of those relationships is the most challenging for you? What about that challenging relationship specifically vexes you?

I have few illusions about how difficult I can be for those closest to me. Preparing for a family Thanksgiving tradition where each of us say something we are thankful for, last November I realized how thankful I am my family has tolerated my most difficult moments. At that same time, old colleagues, bosses, close friends, and partners of close friends all crossed my mind. I suspect many of those folks could include me on their short list in response to the italicized question above.

Here's the rub. Since that moment of painful introspection late last year, I've also been reflecting on my most challenging relationship. And I recently concluded that what most vexes me with that person are behaviors uncomfortably close to my own.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. The irony of your last sentence hit me like a brick. You've certainly explained a lot.

    ReplyDelete