About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back (Mostly) From Anagram Land

Over the past few weeks, I've had some trouble concentrating for extended periods of time. Even reading, which is normally a way I can spend many consecutive hours, hasn't been as effortless for me. So, being the word geek I am, I distracted myself for a while late Monday night by fooling around with anagrams and palindromes. Harmless, right? 

In very little time, I learned how excessive can change into obsessive and oppressive. When I tried to return to my reading after my visit to anagram/palindrome land, I found myself messing with many of the words on the page. If the author used the word dais, I saw the word "said". When a character mentioned his Mom my mind went to Dad (& Pop). I looked at my watch - 45 minutes had gone by and I'd read (dear) only two pages (gapes). I decided it was (saw) time (emit) for bed. I did (uh-oh) not (ton) blog (glob). See what I mean (name)? My lame attempts to be facile aside, I am fully aware how this can be a serious mental problem for some. I was honestly disturbed when I went to sleep Monday night.

Since my ability to be focused is one of my strengths, I was relieved when this mental chatter let up a little on Tuesday and a little more today; my reading concentration is returning. But I did get a brief glimpse of something that gave me real pause.      

No comments:

Post a Comment