About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Take The Remote, Please

When was the last time you were genuinely inspired by a person you know or had contact with? What about that person inspired you? What action, if any, did they inspire you to take?

On my recent trip to Mammoth Cave National Park, there was an 86 year old gentleman from Ohio whose energy and dedication to our service task floored me. This man worked all day alongside people as young as 1/4 his age. He also joined several of us on a long hike at the end of one workday; was often the first one up to make coffee; did not, unlike others, take a nap before dinner; was up until every campfire was extinguished. And, he slept in his own tent (i.e. on the ground) instead of in the group dorm.

About 25-30 years ago, on another Sierra Club trip, I came across a 70 year old woman just as fit as this man. She so impressed me that I vowed right then to continue doing these trips in order to be around people this vital as I moved into my 40's and beyond. That woman cycled with us 50-60 miles a day; hiked mountains; rowed across lakes - on some days we did all three. Now all these years later, this 86 year young man renewed my resolve not to age holding a TV remote.

1 comment:

  1. John Edwards inspired me to tell the truth.

    ReplyDelete