About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, May 25, 2012

A Tricky Business

What percentage of the books you read result from a recommendation made by someone you know? Aside from recommendations, what additional methods do you use frequently to help you decide?

Over my adult reading life, I'd estimate more than 75% of the novels I've read resulted from recommendations. In the last two years, a fair number of novels I've read have been book club selections; I also count those in the recommendation column. But on the non-fiction side, I'd guess the situation is almost reversed. I've always relied a great deal more on sources like the NY Times book review for non-fiction choices vs. recommendations from people I know. I'm not totally sure why this has evolved this way. If you read non-fiction, how similar is your experience? Aside from recommendations, what sources do you rely on? If you belong to any book clubs, how is the ratio of fiction to non-fiction? In my clubs, because there is a clear bias for fiction, my search leads me elsewhere.

I'm usually careful about what I recommend to others, fiction or non-fiction; tricky business, that. Lately I often add a caveat  if a book has moved me - acts as an escape clause if the person ends up hating it. And I've also established a new policy about books I don't like. Except for my wife and daughter, I keep my mouth shut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment