About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dueling Books

"The true test of a first-rate mind is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas at the same time and still function." - F Scott Fitzgerald

I'm not claiming to be a "first rate mind". But at present, owing to "god Is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens (2007) and "Fingerprints of God" by Barbara Bradley Hagerty (2009), I am holding two contradictory ideas. And though I'm still functioning, I've got cognitive dissonance to spare.

Hitchens died late last year; I finished his book last June. As I rifled through Hagerty's equally persuasive book earlier this month, I wished Hitchens had reviewed "Fingerprints of God." How would that incisive mind and militant atheism have dealt with Hagerty's compelling research? Man, if ever I needed to start my own book club, now is the time.

But instead, indulge me in some harmless wishful thinking. Based on the intentionally light title of this post, someone reads it. That same person then reads both books. Finally, that person relates to me how they're managing the contradictory ideas. How I'd love to have that conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment