About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Simple Sentence - Hard Lessons

Who in your life have you met that did not learn the hard way? Are you one of those rare individuals yourself?

One of the most difficult things about being a parent is watching someone you love fiercely learn the hard way. Each time I see my daughter stumble with something that could have been avoided, I can clearly recall my own missteps as a young adult; I had my fair share of those. Often, I find myself thinking - I hope she gets through this part of her life more intact than I did. And I'm so grateful she talks to her mother and I.

"Life is difficult". That simple first sentence of M Scott Peck's 1978 "The Road Less Travelled" was something I needed to internalize when I was my daughter's age. I hope she or someone else reading this post gets some solace remembering Peck's words the next time a lesson is learned the hard way.






No comments:

Post a Comment