About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, July 2, 2012

On Deck: Breyer Batting For Mantle

Without much effort, I can think of so many things I'd rather be able to recall vs. some of what sticks in my brain. How about you?

For example, it frustrates me I effortlessly retain the names of dozens of bands who had one hit wonders but often struggle remembering the names of just several countries that collectively used to be called Yugoslavia. In my brain the battle between pop ephemera and World history has the ephemera winning.

Ask me to name nine Meryl Streep movies then stand back as I exceed that useless expectation. The names of the nine Supreme Court justices? Even money I'll struggle to remember at least one, especially if I skipped reading the NY Times that week. I've been known to lamely excuse my lapse because the judge  names do change, albeit infrequently. Once Meryl makes a movie it stays made. In the case of "Bridges of Madison County", this is unfortunate.

Each time I have a discussion about climate change, I want to recall a few details that will help me present a more cogent case. What happens instead? The Yankees starting lineup from 1960 comes to me unbidden, with the batting order! What sticks in your brain that you wish would just go away? 


2 comments:

  1. Names of Playmate of the Month for the past 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember where I was yesterday, but I remember all the words to Subterranean Homesick Blues (Johnny's in the basement, mixing up the medicine...), the West Virginia state song (Oh the West Virginia hills, how majestic and how grand....), and the first stanza of the Concord Hymn (By the rude bridge that arched the flood...)because I was humiliated when I forgot it in front of my 6th grade class. Oh, and the lyrics to every Beatles song every written and that right triangles have one 90 degree angle.

    ReplyDelete