About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Thank You Sergio, Salvio, Dan & Heather

After spending part of this morning reading about yesterday's horror, decided a walk could be a way to escape my own head. How do you get away from yourself at times like this?

Ended up in my local town, bustling with holiday activity. Picked up a few books ordered as gifts for my family, headed for the coffee shop, then stopped - live music coming from somewhere nearby. Approached four trumpeters playing Christmas carols, imaginatively arranged. Listened to several songs, then engaged these young musicians, all schoolteachers, about their music. Found out where they lived & taught & went to college; two brothers - Sergio & Salvio & a married couple - Dan & Heather. Salvio asked if I'd be interested to hear his arrangement of " O Come All Ye Faithful"; it was unspeakably beautiful. Walked away quietly weeping, unable to speak and afraid I'd embarrass myself. 

No respite from sadness lasts indefinitely but the music these four strangers made had helped rescue me from a morbid immobility and for that I am grateful. How does music speak to you?     

1 comment: