About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Not Recognizing Myself

Anger, envy, gluttony, greed, lust, pride, sloth  

In my view, there are several traits more heinous than these; that's a different post. But among the classic seven deadly sins above, which has caused you the most pain? Any of them ever had a hold on you so much you didn't recognize yourself?

http://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2011/08/avoiding-mirrors.html

The post above from August 9, 2011 describes how anger has gotten the better of me from time to time. The bland example used there of getting harmlessly angry at inanimate objects like my computer is particularly ironic. Because just six days later, the focus of this deadly sin switched.

On August 15, my anger took aim at a total stranger in an eruption so intense, I was arrested for the first time in my life. The potential consequences of my primal outburst were so dire, I was immobilized for weeks. And though my worst fears have not materialized, it's no exaggeration to say my behavior on that day two years ago tomorrow still makes me wonder who I was that day. Any of those deadly sins ever had that effect on you?

No comments:

Post a Comment