About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Bibliophile, Film Historian, Wordsmith

How many unique business cards have you had over your whole working life? Between the years of full and part time self-employment and all my bands and other musical adventures, I've had over twenty. I've still got one of most of them stored with my journals; quirky, I know. How many of yours have you kept?

Recently, I concluded the time had arrived for my first post full time work card. It was fun and enlightening deciding how to re-invent myself this time around. How many descriptors would I use and in what order would they appear? Did all the descriptors necessarily have to be money-making endeavors? What would you put on a business card if you were re-inventing yourself?

I finally settled on "guitarist, educator, blogger". The order has little inherent logic, not even an alphabetical one. And so far in my post full time work life I've made more $$ teaching than performing, though I do spend more hours playing guitar. Still, despite the $$ and my formal training as an educator, guitarist just feels like it belongs first right now.

I also originally thought of using writer vs. blogger - who would know the difference, right? Anyway, since the initial run was able to be a modest one hundred cards, it will be easy and inexpensive to re-invent myself as a writer (or anything I want really) on subsequent printings - cool.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment