About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, April 20, 2015

Traffic Lights (CMXCIX)

What mundane part of modern life that you take completely for granted did you last stop to consider?

Lately I've been reflecting on traffic lights. It's pretty amazing how well they manage the potential chaos all our automobiles could create. Even more remarkable is how much of the world's population agrees to adhere to those same three signals. I've been trying to think of something behaviorally comparable to the effect traffic lights have on most of the human race. Ideas?

Imagine how much more each of us would observe if we paid as close attention to our surroundings as we do to traffic lights. Or, if our empathy to others was as automatic as our response to red, yellow and green. And just for me, I'd like a signal reminding me to stop losing my patience as much - yellow when I get triggered, then red to keep me from crossing into frustration.      

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things to teach is the idea of efficacy. When I tell people that they have the ability to be efficacious, it gets their attention. I usually use the Stop sign as an example of something that causes a reaction just by be-ing, but the traffic light, now that you mention it, is even better. It has three efficacious factors! I'll be changing my plans in the future...thank you!

    I go on to ask and discuss with folks, what do we each automatically cause others to do just by our examples of be-ing/living? Does this match what you hope others think of when they approach you? Do you cause them to cringe? be more polite? expect laughter? serve others? etc...

    I do believe we can train ourselves to have the traffic light in our brains, causing us to respond as we will wish we had, when we reflect later. Just takes practice. And usually those things we wish to change in this way provide us with ample opportunity for practice. :) d.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. d; I'm glad this metaphor worked for you. BTW, I used to use the "STOP" sign metaphor in my years teaching about stress - also very effective. The part about the traffic light that most gets to me is the universality of our agreement re using it to manage all the chaos automobiles are capable of creating.

      Delete