About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

My Grade (So Far): Tact

tact: a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.

Are we grading on a curve? If not, my grade (so far) on this attribute - #37 in the series - puts me on the margins of the bell curve, i.e. C-/D+ at best, along with charm (April 2012) and panache (February 2014). How about you? Your grade (so far) for tact?

Early in life I mistook tactlessness for honesty, a mistake I fear many young outspoken people make. If I'd outgrown that obnoxious behavior sooner, perhaps I'd be in high "C" or even low "B" territory by now. Unfortunately, to this day my impulsive 65 year old mouth still tastes likes socks way too often.

If the dictionary definition for tact had contained only the first phrase, this attribute could have easily earned me my first "F". Fortunately, my skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations gave me some ballast; close call. And, more work to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment