About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Pleasure, Heartache, The Past

Very shortly after I started to blog in March 2011, a friend gifted me a small journal called "One Line A Day: A Five Year Memory Book". It immediately became my latest writing vessel and a timely one; I've used it ever since to record the title of my daily blog post.        

I've been reasonably consistent using "One Line A Day" (I'm now on my second), but some days, the title of that day's blog post is my only entry. Such was the case exactly three years ago. On 1/4/14, all that is written there is "Pleasure & Heartache". Searching yesterday for something in that journal - and noticing those opposing words - got me wondering what might have prompted a reflection like that. Was it my guitar playing? A relationship? What gives you both pleasure & heartache? Would the answer be the same today as it was three years ago? If yes, what steps have you taken to mitigate that tension? 

Memory is so fragile. Give someone you love a journal. Even words that don't add up may help that someone hold onto a small piece of their past, including some parts involving you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment