About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, June 24, 2013

The Grip Of Inertia

Lazy is not a word anyone has ever used to describe me. Still, inertia is a frequent if unwelcome companion of mine. How much does inertia intrude on your life?

For me, this close relative of laziness is insidious. I usually know when I'm being lazy but days can go by before I recognize inertia has had me in its grip. It's a toxic recipe - finite time + hard to detect inertia = lost productivity. Even if I'm not (necessarily) procrastinating, somehow not much of note gets accomplished. Then presto - a lot more time has gone by.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." That ancient maxim has given me inspiration many times when I've found myself hobbled by inertia. I start; I feel better. And if that doesn't work I may try using a question from Stephen Covey's book "First Things First": "Is this the best use of my time this moment?" Doesn't work every time but what method does? How do you escape inertia's grip?

3 comments:

  1. Inertia prevented me from posting this sooner

    ReplyDelete
  2. true love is hard to find,come rain or come shine.I can't stand the rain. I feel the same waiting on a sunny day.A woman knows how forever feels; I heard it in a love song. HELP!! What now my love? Show me a sign. All this time we'll be together. Life is good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inertia is but resistance’s sapid face.

    ReplyDelete