About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, June 26, 2015

5-4, 6-3: Game Over

Though I rarely agree with their positions, I'm obliged to admit the right wing in America has in recent times become very adept at staying on message and branding. Even people who mostly share my politics routinely refer to the Affordable Care Act as "Obama-Care".

I do often reflect on why the message mavens on the right don't attempt to re-brand existing laws that benefit them or their followers in a similar fashion. For instance, why not Roosevelt-Security instead of Social Security or Johnson-Care instead of Medicare? Or more pertinently, when a disabled right winger finds their life marginally improved because of some provision required by the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), what are the odds that person would start petitioning Fox News et al to start calling that law the Bush (Senior) Disabilities Act?  

Now that the Supreme Court has ruled twice on the Affordable Care Act - with Chief Justice Roberts siding with the majority upholding the law in both cases - it's of little consequence how anyone tries to label it. It's the law of the land, like Social Security, Medicare, and the ADA.

No comments:

Post a Comment