About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

My Back Pages

https://www.facebook.com/SydneyUrshanPage/videos/574887372647634/?pnref=story

The song is one of Bob Dylan's best - "My Back Pages". The staying power of that song's refrain - "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" - is undeniable.

The vocal batting order doing the six original verses Dylan first sang on "Another Side of Bob Dylan" - but using the Byrds arrangement from their album "Younger Than Yesterday" - is hard to top: Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Dylan himself, George Harrison. The guitar solos - first Clapton after verse three, then Neil Young after verse six - are both models of economy and taste. And then it ends with a final repeat of that incredible refrain.

I'm grateful to an old friend for sending this to me and happy to share it here with anyone who hasn't yet seen it. I'm certain I'll watch this performance many more times and equally certain it will never cease to move me. Let me know your reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment