About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, July 3, 2015

Letting Politics Get In My Way

Have you ever had what you would describe as a difficult friendship? If so, what made that friendship hard? How did you sustain it?

Since finishing "Buckley and Mailer: The Difficult Friendship That Shaped The Sixties" several days ago, I've been reflecting on my own friendships. How many friendships have I abandoned when the going got a little rough? What exactly made me run? In his recently published book, author Kevin Schultz convincingly argues the opposing political views of Buckley and Mailer helped forge their friendship. More often than not, politics get in my way. Not pretty but true.

Reading a book about intellectual giants like Buckley and Mailer is bound to be humbling. But their moving correspondence was a genuine surprise. And I also re-learned a valuable lesson about embracing difference in my friends. I hope it sticks with me through the next political rough patch.    
       

No comments:

Post a Comment