About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, April 26, 2014

My Grade (So Far): Serenity

serenity: the state or quality of being calm, peaceful or tranquil.

Using that dictionary definition, how would you grade yourself (so far) on serenity? Of the attributes thus far cited in this series, I've given more focused attention to this one than most, particularly through a strong commitment to my meditation practice.

That commitment took root easily because, though my default is energy, enthusiasm and excitability, people with calm and tranquil temperaments had always appealed to me. Though the benefits can be tricky to quantify, soon after I began meditating in the early 1990's, I noticed myself relaxing more when improvising on the guitar. I also wasn't quite as quick to lose my temper. Those two things, real or imagined, convinced me to make meditation a lifelong discipline.

No one has ever called me mellow. I don't imagine anyone will ever call me serene or calm either. Still, I'm splitting my grade for serenity. "C" based on my temperament, "A" based on my commitment giving me a "B" overall.  FYI, whenever my focus strays from my breathing during meditation, I purposefully picked the word peace to help me re-enter. How can this do anything but good for me, the people I love, the whole world?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Thank you! I have a mug that I use each morning (as I pump my veins with caffeine :) that states: "PEACE. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. it means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart." (unknown)

    Thank you for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: You're welcome! Thank you for commenting and especially for the quote from your coffee mug - a clear winner.

    ReplyDelete