About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Search For Holden Caulfield

Of all the characters created in 20th century fiction, Holden Caulfield is surely among the most memorable. When author JD Salinger wrote "Cather in the Rye", he captured with Holden's unique voice the alienation many of us feel during the awkward years of adolescence.

Because Salinger would not allow any of his books to be adapted to film, Holden Caulfield has not been represented on the screen. Since "Catcher in the Rye" has been popular since the early 1950's, the search for a screen version of Holden Caulfield should include at least one actor who was popular during each of the last 6 decades. I'll start: For the 1950's version, I nominate James Dean.

Aside from your nominations for a Holden Caulfield from the 60's until the 00's, I'm just as curious to know which other "famous" fictional characters, so far not depicted, are you still waiting to see in a movie?

1 comment:

  1. For the 60s, Dustin Hoffman in his "The Graduate" stage.

    ReplyDelete