About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Seduced By The Muse

So far, my life's creative output has fallen short of my expectations. Lately I've been reflecting on the possibility that I may have allowed myself to be seduced by some romantic idea of artistic inspiration, like waiting for a muse (or something) to visit me. As I waited for inspiration, valuable time was lost. Sound at all familiar to anyone?    

In an article I read years ago, the late John Updike said he completed at least one page every day, meaning at the end of each year he had over 300 pages written - a book. So does that kind of discipline trump the notion of a muse? Some would argue (I don't agree) that Updike's writing is cold or cerebral. Did the same discipline that helped him produce such a staggering output also make his output clinical?

Since mid-March I've often thought of Updike's approach as I attempt to post something every day on this blog. It's been very humbling; I've missed several days and this is not even close to a page. And, I have no illusions about my "reach" vs. someone of Updike's talents, stature & discipline. On the other hand, I'm feeling a great deal better about my creative output (sic) and I'm no longer as seduced by the muse.    

No comments:

Post a Comment