About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, January 19, 2015

Constellations

" We never tell the story whole because a life isn't a story; it's a whole Milky Way of events and we are forever picking out constellations from it to fit who and where we are." 

"The Faraway Nearby" (2013) by Rebecca Solnit is filled with striking observations like that. Which "constellation" best fits who or where you are at present? My most prominent constellation has the stars that have brightened my life since stopping full time work in early 2010.

Half a decade - New home, some new friends, new interests and projects. For example: Solnit's wonderful book was suggested by one of those new friends. And I originally met this person via one of those new-since-2010 interests - book clubs. Now this new friend and I have initiated a project - a meeting to discuss each book we recommend to one another. Since the dictionary defines club as "a group of persons", maybe my friend and I are a "cl"?

Whatever we are, I'm thrilled to have discovered someone who can help me deepen my understanding of a book as rich as "The Faraway Nearby". And I'm also grateful for most of the events that have made up the "Milky Way" of my life.  

1 comment:

  1. I would start to get lost in the story, but then I'd abruptly be yanked back into the disappointing reality that my sixty-something year old neighbor needed incessant attention.luxury sober living new york

    ReplyDelete