About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Beware Book Cover Cliches

"Don't judge a book by its cover".

My daughter did the reverse of the above by selecting Michael Chabon's "Telegraph Avenue" (2012) to give me as a gift. She looked at the art, read the short cover summary and a few of the notices and decided I'd like it. It's wonderful to have someone who knows me so well. What a book.

Music, race, and endearingly imperfect people are a few of the key elements here. But avoid any reductive views at all costs; read this novel. Chabon's reach and prose are so thrilling, if I didn't own the book I would have purchased a copy after finishing. The last novel I read that had as many stunning passages as "Telegraph Avenue" was the "The Human Stain" by Philip Roth.

Relevant sidebar: A new reader recently told me after reading my over-the-top praise of Jeff Beck's version of "Over The Rainbow" here, she tried listening to it and was equally transfixed. Making her a convert to Beck's gift gave me immense pleasure. I sincerely hope someone will try "Telegraph Avenue" for a similar reason. Admittedly a much longer investment of time than a recording, but so worth it.

p.s. Putting people aside, I'm not convinced that hoary cliche at the top of this post is good advice when it comes to actual books. You?  

No comments:

Post a Comment